Frequently Asked Questions . . .

Civil\Criminal\Domestic Relations

Where are you located? We are located at 401 Main Street, 2nd Floor, Muskingum County Courthouse, Zanesville, OH 43701
The Domestic Relations Division is located at 22 North Fifth Street, 2nd Floor, Zanesville, OH 43701

What is your telephone number?
Civil/Criminal Division (740) 455-7104
Domestic Relations (740) 455-7898
Title Office (740) 455-7103

What are your hours?
We are open Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm

What records are available on your website?
The dockets (summary) of cases filed in the Civil/Criminal Division and the Domestic Relations Division of the Muskingum County Common Pleas Court are available for public viewing on our website. Also, the 5th District Court of Appeals are shown.

The main types of cases available include:
  • Civil Cases
  • Divorce and Dissolution Cases
  • Felony Criminal Cases
  • Judgment Liens

  • How far back do the records go?
    Our internet records go back to 10/17/94

    How do I look up a case?
    There are two ways to look up a case.
  • You can search by a name, to see a list of any cases in which the person is a party.
  • You can enter the case number to find a particular case.

  • Can I see the filings in a case?
    No, just the docket, which is a summary of the parties in the case, the attorneys and a brief description of the items filed in the case.

    Where can I get a copy of my divorce decree or other documents in a case?
    You (or your representative) can either come to the Clerk of Courts office or request a copy by mail. The cost is $0.05 per page or $1.00 per page to have the document certified. If you request a copy by mail, please include your case number (if you know it), the names of the parties, the year the divorce was filed and your return address. The average cost for the certified copy and postage is $5.00. If you include a check in that amount, we will bill you for any additional fee if the cost is more. Please make the check or money order payable to: Muskingum County Clerk of Courts. The mailing address is: Domestic Relations, 22 North Fifth Street, Zanesville, OH 43701

    To pick up a copy of your decree, we are located at 22 North Fifth Street, Zanesville, OH 43701 (Former JCPenney Building)
    We are open Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm.

    How often do you update your records?
    Our online records are up to the minute but does not reflect any updates or rulings that have not been entered into our system.

    Can I file or request a document by email of fax?
    No, Muskingum County Common Pleas Courts do not accept or provide information by fax or email.

    Do your records show both pending and closed cases?
    Yes, both pending and closed cases back to 1994 are shown

    I owe Court Costs, do you have a payment plan?
    Call the proper Court Division to make payment arrangements or for other questions related to court costs.
  • Civil/Criminal (740) 455-7104
  • Domestic Relations (740) 455-7898

  • How do I find out when a court hearing or trial is being held?
    Our office does not handle the setting of court dates. Check the Court Case docket and/or check "Events" for that information.

    Where can I find other kind of court records, such as misdemeanor criminal, traffic, Juvenile or Probate records?
    Juvenile and Probate Records are handled by the Juvenile and Probate Courts. They do not have internet access to their records.

  • Juvenile Court (740) 453-0351
  • Probate Court (740) 455-7113

  • Misdemeanor criminal, traffic and small claims court cases are handled by the Muskingum County Court and Zanesville Municipal Court.
  • Muskingum County Court (740) 455-7138
  • Zanesville Municipal Court (740) 454-3269

  • Where can find out information on foreclosed properties being sold at Sheriff's Sale?

    Where can I apply for a marriage license?
    Probate Court handles marriage licenses. You can call for information at (740) 455-7113

    Where can I find a copy of my will?
    Wills are handled by the Probate Court. You can call them at (740) 455-7113.

    How do I apply to have my name changed?
    This is handled through the Probate Court. Their telephone number is: (740) 455-7113.

    Where can I get a copy of a birth or death record?
    Birth and death records are available through the Muskingum County Health Department. Their telephone number is: (740) 454-9741

    Where can I find information on property records?
    Property records are handled by the Muskingum County Recorder. The website is:

    Where can I find information on a Bankruptcy case?
    Bankruptcy cases are filed in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court-Southern District of Ohio-Eastern Division.
    The telephone number is: (614) 469-6638.

    Where do I apply to become a Notary?
    The application and testing are handled through the Muskingum County Bar Association.
    The telephone number is: (740) 454-2591, Ask for Sheri Warren at Kincaid, Taylor & Geyer's Office, 50 N. 5th Street, Zanesville, OH 43701

    Title Division

    I have questions about transferring a title.
    You can call the Title Office at (740) 455-7103

    What forms of payment do you accept?
    You can pay title fees and taxes with:
  • Cash
  • Visa, Mastercard, Discover, or Debit Cards

  • Where are you located and when are you open?
    Our Title Office is located at 22 North Fifth Street, Zanesville, OH 43701

    The Title Office hours are: Monday 8:00am - 6:00pm, Tuesday - Friday, 8:00am to 4:30pm.